General Essay Formatting And Writing Tips
Every student who was engaged in writing an essay knows that there are three main points that define the success of the paper, namely, these are: proper essay format, proper heading and content, and uniqueness of the work. Many students have no idea what is a correct college essay format. This creates certain problems in the process of writing a paper and leads to unpleasant consequences such as low grade or the necessity to rewrite the essay.
At this stage, you can face many issues. What style to follow when writing an essay, what nuances to keep in mind, what margin to use, how to title an essay? And these are just a few of possible questions!
In this article, we will be answering all of these questions to help you create a high-quality essay with correct style, format, unique and engaging content!
What Does An Essay Consist Of?
The answer depends on many factors. But there is a commonly used style template that should help you to create a good paper that follows all of the universal college paper format standards.
An essay must consist of:
Title page. This is the first page of your paper. This section is optional and not all universities or colleges require it, so we advise you to carefully look through the guidelines of your instructor to find out whether you need to include this section in your paper or not.
Interesting and unique essay heading. Your header is the first sentence that the reader will see. Thus, the first impression that your reader will get from the essay will be based on how well you had formulated the header. Try to make it clear, short but eye catchy for the reader!
Introductory paragraph. Your intro is the first paragraph of your paper and, just like header, it needs to be engaging, concise and unique; it must make your reader want to read the whole essay! Introduction is a short presentation of the topic of your paper as it gives the reader a general idea about what you are going to talk about. Start this section with a brief summary on the paper topic. State your goals, ideas and questions. Also, it is important to make an intro that is answering the general questions that the reader may face when he reads the title of your paper, but at the same time, it should not give all the answers at once! The last sentence of your intro is a thesis, but if you are not confident how everything works because you lack experience in academic writing, we recommend you to search for a set of ideas on the Internet. Also, to create a correct intro, discuss it with your instructor.
Main part. This section should contain a detailed explanation of the problem, facts that prove correctness of one or another opinion, examples that prove these facts, etc. As a rule, the main section includes from three to five ideas, devoting a separate paragraph to each to persuade the reader in something.
Conclusion. This section of your paper is very important. This section summarizes and analyses the whole work, reminds reader the goals and thesis of the text, and draws logical conclusion based on facts and examples. This is the last paragraph of the work and it is often just a sentence or a few long.
Citations. A student, who works on such paper not for the first rime, is aware that citing sources is not less important than following the correct style and format as this way his paper will contain plagiarism, which will lower the grade. Keep in mind that any borrowed sentence, paragraph, phrase, thought or idea, any quotation, and any source has to be cited in accordance with the proper style, using quotation marks and providing the name of the source, writer, page number, and other details. If you leave any quotation not cited, it will be approached as plagiarism!
Where To Ask For Help?
If you feel like you can’t handle such task, it is much wiser to look for a reliable helper instead of writing a work of a poor quality. Where can you get assistance?
- The easiest way to find help is to type the topic sentence in the searching engine and look for works that other people had written on your topic to see what style they had used, what margin width they had set, how they formulated a thesis sentence, how did they engage the reader, and other nuances. Besides, you can keep an eye on the works of others while writing your text. But don’t try to copy someone’s works!
- Ask for help of your advisor; a professional instructor who works at your college can assist you better than anyone else because this person knows everything about how to write a paper, what style to choose, what margin to set, how to cite sources, etc!
- Turn to a professional writing service. This is the simplest way to resolve all of your academic issues! This way you can ask experienced writers, who know all the standards of writing (margin width, sentence length, proper style and format, and other), for help and get a text of a high quality without wasting your time.
Effective And Simple Tips
Now, when our discussion has come to the end, there are just a few more things that we would like to highlight for your and be confident that by following these simple tips you will make the writing process much easier and faster!
- Create a thorough plan and keep an eye on it.
- Make sure your top, bottom, left and right margin is set correctly.
- Ensure that your work meets the style guidelines provided by your teacher (it is even wiser to keep an eye on these guidelines during the whole process of writing).
- Look whether your heading and first sentence catches the eye of the reader.
- Allow your relative or friend read your work before you submit it; it is important to proofread the text yourself, but only a real reader can give you a critical and objective evaluation!